Whether it's stuffed in a toy, baked into a cookie or licked straight from the spoon, peanut butter is a great treat for your dog. However, it is important to know what to look out for when giving your pet peanut butter.
Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein and healthy fats, vitamin B and E, and niacin. But be careful - although fine for human consumption, some ingredients in specific peanut butter recipes are too sensitive for canines. The main additive to watch for is Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is highly toxic to dog. Added Sodium (salt) is also another ingredient to avoid, however, this can be easily remedied by choosing a natural, unsalted peanut butter as an alternative.
Check out these quick and easy recipes to treat your pet with the delicious taste of peanut butter. As always, peanut butter should be consumed in moderation - this includes your pets too!
Pic's Peanut Butter Fido Friendly BiscuitsIngredients
- 2 cups Rye Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup Pic's Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup warm water
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (fan bake)
2. Mix the Peanut Butter and Egg in a large bowl
3. Add the flour and baking powder
4. Finally add the water and mix until combined. Adjust to suit.
5. Rest mixture in the fridge for half an hour before rolling and cutting into your desired shape.
6. Bake for around 20 minutes until golden & crisp.
7. Enjoy Fido!
Peanut Butter Kong Stuffing
Peanut butter makes an awesome Kong stuffing. It tastes great, it’s usually already on hand in your home, and it’s texture and stickiness makes it a long lasting challenge for your dog. First, put a dab of peanut butter at the bottom of the Kong to seal the small hole, then turn the Kong upside down and place it in a cup. Stuff the Kong with kibble, canned food, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, banana or anything else you like. Seal the top with peanut butter and serve.
Peanut Butter & Banana Doggy Gelato
- 3-4 ripe bananas peeled
- 900g plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 cup peanut butter
1. Add bananas, peanut butter & yoghurt to a blender
2. Blend until thoroughly mixed
3. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze
Peanut Butter & Banana Bliss Balls For Dogs
- ½ banana (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons of Peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon of coconut oil warmed to a liquid
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup of rice bubbles
- 2 dessert spoons of ground dog biscuits
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- In a bowl mix together mashed banana, peanut butter, and coconut oil.
- Add in the dry ingredients; oats, coconut, rice bubbles, ground dog biscuits and mix until it is at a consistency that is easy to be roll into balls.
- Roll each ball in the desiccated coconut
- Once made these they can keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Peanut Butter & Banana Pupcakes
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 80g smooth peanut butter
- 40g wholemeal flour
- 45g rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 70ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree fan bake
2. Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake cases
3. Put the egg, honey and mashed banana into a bowl and stir to combine.
4. Add the peanut butter and beat to form a smooth paste
5. Add the flour, oats and baking powder and stir to form a dough like consistency and then add the water and mix until well combined.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days at room temperature or freeze si that they can be enjoyed another time.