Just like us, our pets may not be getting everything they need for their diets. After all most of us feed our pets the same food day in and day out for most of their lives. So it can be hard to be sure that they are getting everything that they need. That is where supplements come in! These products contain specific vitamins and minerals to help you fill the gaps in your dog's nutrition. Or to address certain health concerns such as arthritis, sensitive skin or digestive issues. Read about our top 10 supplements, what they are used for and how they could benefit your dog's health.
The most common thing that people supplement their pet's diet with is glucosamine or chondroitin. Glucosamine is an amino sugar that is found naturally in the fluid around the joints to help build cartilage. This product is naturally found in the shells of shellfish and it is effective in relieving joint pain, improving mobility and treating arthritis in dogs. Glucosamine supplements are readily available in both liquid and powdered form such as the Nutreats Vitals Hip & Joint Supplement.
- Glucosamine has an anti-inflammatory effect so helps to reduce joint pain.
- It can be effective in improving mobility and treating arthritis.
The second most common supplement added to the diet of dog's is fish oil. This is due to its high level of Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA that are proven to improve skin and coat health. These fatty acids can only be made in a limited capacity by dogs so it an be helpful to give your dog a boost by adding a fish oil supplement. As fish oil has a huge range of benefits for the health of your dog supporting joint health, kidneys, heart and immune system. There are many sorts of fish oil on the market from Salmon Oils like the Omega Plus King Salmon Oil or Hoki Oil like Newflands Hoki Oil.
- Contains EPA that acts as a natural anti-inflammatory to help with inflammation of the heart, kidney or joint inflammation conditions such as arthritis.
- Ease skin inflammation due to allergies & reduce the occurrence of hot spots.
- Promotes a shiny coat and helps to reduce coat shedding.
- Beneficial in brain and eye development in puppies.
- Can be used to increase your dogs appetite or help fussy dogs eat their food by adding a delicious fish flavour.
With the increase of popularity of probiotics as a supplement for humans, its little wonder that these supplements are becoming popular for our dog's too! After all the majority of your dog's immune system is in its gut, with around 70% off all immune cells living there. So it is important to keep your dog's digestive system running at its best to help your pet live a more active and healthy life overall. Supplementing your dog's diet with probiotics such as ProVida Canine Digest-Aid With Probiotics can be helpful in treating diarrhoea, reducing as, improving breath and helping to regulate their bowel function.
- Support your dog's digestion as well as helping with the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
- Reduce allergy symptoms by strengthening and boosting your dog's immune system.
- Relive constipation and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Helpful for recovery from an upset stomach or diarrhoea especially after antibiotic use.
Greenshell/ Green Lipped Mussel
The green lipped mussel is one of the largest mussels that is only found in the waters around New Zealand. This super-food contains large amounts of EPA, DHA and ETA as well as being a source of naturally occurring glucosamine and chondroitin. Where as fish oil only contains EPA & DHA - and ETA has been proven to be much more potent and powerful in treating inflammation. A product like Silberhorn PetMussel contains glycosaminoglycans, which has joint protective properties so this product is great to use as preventative maintenance especially in large breed dogs or dogs with congenital joint conditions.
- Contains EPA, DHA and ETA to improve joint health.
- A super food packed with natural nutrients and antioxidants
- Omega 3s work to reduce the level of inflammation associated with diseases such as arthritis.
- This supplement is particularly useful in improving mobility in older dogs.
Kelp a type of seaweed is one of the most nutritious sea vegetables as it is contains over 60 different minerals and trace elements. It is a great natural way to provide more minerals to your dog's body and has a nourishing tonic effect on the body as a whole. The reason kelp contain this wide range of nutrients is because of their ability to absorb minerals directly from ocean water. Kelp is one of the richest sources of amino acids as well as being 25% protein and only 2% fat. It also contains iodine which is essential for healthy thyroid function as well as high levels of iron to support circulation. A popular supplement that is high in Kelp is Pet Kelp Well Being Formula which is a perfect way to boost your dog's nutrition.
- Naturally rich in iodine to support healthy thyroid function, speeding up the metabolism and helping with weight loss.
- Reduces itchiness in dogs with skin allergies
- Improves overall skin and coat condition.
- Naturally helps to repel fleas from your dog.
- Contains high levels of amino acids and protein to improve the immune system and aid in the healing process.
As pet owners, we all want our dogs to be happy and healthy. Sometimes though, it can be hard for our pets to eat a well-rounded diet that offers all the nutrients and vitamins they need. Multivitamins such as Blackmores PAW Wellness + Vitality can be helpful for dogs that eat a home prepared or poor quality diet or pets that are extremely picky eaters. By adding a multivitamin supplement you can help to avoid any vitamin deficiencies in your dog. The best way to choose a dog multivitamin is to talk to your veterinarian about what, if any, dog vitamin supplements your dog needs.
- Helps to support overall wellness
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals.
- Particularly useful for ensuring pets on homemade or raw diets get all the vitamins and nutrients they need.
Adding a fibre supplement such as ProVida Flax Seed Flake to your dog's diet can be helpful if they suffer from constipation, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome or issues with the gastrointestinal tract. If your dog's diet does not have enough fibre it can be helpful to add a natural fibre supplement to encourage good quality and regular bowel movements. Fibre can also be useful if you have a dog that has issues with their anal glands. Adding fibre can also be helpful for dog's trying to lose weight as it can help to make them feel fuller.
- Clear up issues with constipation, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome and other issues the gastrointestinal system
- Fibre is bulky and helps dogs to feel more full, so it is helpful in dog's trying to lose weight.
- Adding fibre helps dog's to have firmer stools which can help dog's to naturally express their anal glands.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar such as ProVida Apple Cider Vinegar is a must have supplement for dogs as it has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal benefits as well as helping to support and boost the immune system. It is a good all round supplement having benefits for digestion and the absorption of vitamins and minerals. As well as having natural antiseptic properties and making a great natural shampoo for dog's with skin conditions.
- A natural anti-fungal and antiseptic great for itchy or flaking skin or hot spots.
- Great natural shampoo too remove odours from your pets coat.
- Can be added to food to assist the immune system.
- Improving digestion by balancing pH levels in a dog’s body
MSM (Methyl-sulfonyl-methane) is one of the best natural supplements for dogs with joint problems. It is an organic sulfur containing compound that is well known for enhancing the structural integrity of connective tissue, which can help reduce scar tissue and strengthen joints. This compound can also act as a natural pain reliever. In addition to aiding joint pain and stiffness, MSM’s anti-inflammatory properties make it popular for treating digestive disorders, arthritis, eye problems and chronic inflammatory diseases. It can be found in a range of hip and joint supplements such as the Animology Hip Joint & Flex supplement.
- A natural analgesic (pain reliever) that is helpful for dogs with chronic pain.
- Enhances the structural integrity of connective tissues.
- Reduces scar tissue and strengthen joints so is useful in the treatment of arthritis.
Flax Seed Oil
Flax Seed Oil is one of nature's richest sources of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids. So it is the perfect natural food supplement for dogs, cats & horses. Flax Seed oil contains higher levels of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) than fish oil, has natural antioxidant properties. So adding Flax Seed Oil such as For The Love Of Animals Flax Seed Oil to your dog's diet can help to promote optimum coat health and mobility, as well as supporting the immune, circulatory and digestive systems.
- Flax seed oil can be used to treat chronic inflammatory disorders.
- Has natural benefits for skin, coat, mobility, circulatory and digestive health.
- Contains higher levels of ALA than fish oil.
So if you are concerned that your dog may not be getting everything it needs from its diet, it can be a good idea to start adding a vitamin or supplement especially designed for dog's to their diet. Although if you want to fix an ongoing health concern or medical condition, it is always best to consult your vet before adding a vitamin or supplement to your pet's diet.